NCT has undertaken social investment initiatives aimed at bringing new hope and opportunity to previously disadvantaged communities.
Programmes are driven by NCT’s desire to improve the quality of life in these communities and to empower individuals and communities to build self-sufficiency and sustainability in the long term.
Its selection of projects reflect the organisation’s understanding of current good practice and hopefully make a difference to the most vulnerable in our communities.
NCT invests 1% of its pre-tax profit in community programmes. To date, NCT’s social investment programme has impacted on over 100 communities in KwaZulu-Natal and Mpumalanga. All projects are assessed prior to approval, on a case-by-case basis and are required to have documented objectives.
Projects focus on:
- Literacy and education (with particular focus on early childhood development;
- Welfare of the most vulnerable especially orphans and HIV infected children.
- Special needs equipment for the physically- and mentally-challenged.
- Food security with the establishment of vegetable gardens.
- Small business development.
- Basic infrastructure at schools and home run crèches
HIV/AIDS training programmes are conducted at all schemes managed by NCT Tree Farming. NCT’s responsibility is to ensure that all staff are educated in HIV/AIDS and are counselled, tested and referred to support services where the need arises.
Another aspect of NCT’s corporate responsibility programme is caring for the environment.
Key areas are:
Responding to Climate Change
NCT supports SPCA